Developed in 1904, Ansley Park was the idea of Edwin P. Ansley who, along with several prominent Atlanta businessmen of the time, purchased a large plot of land north of the city from longtime owner George Washington Collier. Ansley envisioned a new motorcar-oriented suburb of wide, winding streets and green parks designed to attract Atlanta's wealthiest and most prestigious families. In fact, Ansley Park was home to Georgia's Governors Mansion for many decades. Ansley's vision of a gracious, harmonious neighborhood that would be an oasis in the midst of the bustling city of Atlanta lives on today, in great part thanks to the efforts of the Ansley Park Civic Association. Since the 1960s, the Association has been an active force in maintaining the neighborhood's integrity and sense of community.